2005/05/02

Fixed my powerbook.

My powerbook has sicked for a longtime. Starting from half a year ago, the DVD stuck in the CR-ROM mechanically. I went to Apple store in downtown Denver for a cure. The genius there molest the baby for about two hours, finally they gave up and said it would be about $310 to open the powerbook, and if have the DVD drive changed, will it cost 200 bucks more.

Oh, Ok, lets do it myself, it won't take 10 hours to do that.

I went to home and tried to crack it. I'd never recommend to open this pandora's box unless you have the 24 page garage guide for it. I then went to 10^100 for any clue. Thank god, some guy neatly put their photonized guide on website. I still failed to crack the DVD-ROM since I can't remove the "giant" two screws on the heat sink. Ok, let's use this laptop without CD at all!

I have used this blind laptop till recently the hard drive died. Poor as Helen Keller. Can't boot from CD, Can't boot from HD. I then bought an 80Gb HD from a cheap website for hundred bucks. And then downloaded and printed repair manual from www.pbfixit.com. And after a total of 8 hours struggle, it is running just as a sexy pig now.